David D.F. Uran (pronounced U-Ran) has been resident of Crown Point for 20 years and has lived in Lake County, Indiana for 42 years. David is married to Katie (Williams) for the past 18 years and they have four children: Nicole (16), Julie (15), Hailey (12), and Benjamin (10).
Current Role and Responsibilities:
- Mayor of the City of Crown Point
- Chairman of the Board of Works and Public Safety
- Executive Member of the Northwest Indiana Regional
Planning Commission (NIRPC)
- Member of Lake County Solid Waste Management District
As Mayor of Crown Point, David manages over 160 City Employees which is made up of the Public Safety Division (Police / Fire / EMA), Public Works & Streets, Engineering, Building & Planning, Parks, Special Events, Human Resource, Legal, and Media & IT Divisions. The City operates currently on a $21.5 million dollar annual budget and provides service to over 27,000 residents. As mayor, four years of smart financial planning has resulted in a 10% reduction of the city’s yearly budget.
Education and Experience:
- 17 Years of Service with the City of Crown Point (13 years Police Officer / 4 years as Mayor)
- 10 Years of Experience in Residential and Commercial Loans
- 5 Years as a Head Varsity Boys Basketball Coach
- 4 Years with Board and Zoning Authority (B.Z.A.)
- 3 Years Advance City Leadership Education from Indiana University
- 2 Years Fraternal Order of Police President with Lodge #176
- Indiana Licensed Life and Health Insurance Agent
- Bachelors Degree in Sports Management
- Associates Degree in Science
- Graduate of the Indiana Law Enforcement Academy
Special Recognitions and Distinctions
- 2010 Earned Silver & Bronze Awards for Advance City Leadership issued by Indiana University and IACT.
(One of only two mayors in Lake County to achieve this status)
- 2009 South Shore Visitor Convention Authority Elected Official of the Year.
- 2008 Northwest Indiana Building Trades Elected Official of the Year.
As the Mayor of Crown Point, David always has the needs of the citizens and the future of the city as his guiding principles. He believes government must be about working with others through leadership and vision to accomplish goals.
"Building a Stronger Community from Within" is the City's mission to ensure we protect our heritage, hometown values, and provide the vision to continue to move our community forward.